Black Bottom Cupcakes
You know how some desserts make you think of your childhood? This is one of those for me…..yet, I’ve never made them. Eaten plenty of them-yes, but created them in my own kitchen-never. I love the sweetness of the chocolate cake contrasting with the slightly tart cream cheese and the two textures coming together….heaven.
Black Bottom Cupcakes (adapted from allrecipes.com)
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper cups or lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray
2. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center and add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir together until well blended. Fill muffin tins 1/3 full with the batter and top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 20-24 cupcakes.
I baked these in the afternoon and had to step up the willpower to wait and enjoy these for dessert with Hubby. Luckily, my bestie at yumsandloves had shared a mini banana bundt cake with me, so I had that to satisfy my sweet tooth. I think she’ll be posting about it soon!