Apple Crisp a la Mode
I love fall, have I told you that yet?! Love the beautiful orange/yellow/red leaves, love the crisp air, love the morning fog and afternoon sun, love pumpkin spice latte’s, love football and love fall desserts. And one fall dessert that I really love, apple crisp. It makes me especially happy to make apple crisp because it’s Hubby’s favorite dessert. Recently my best friend from my home town in Central Washington brought me honeycrisp apples from her family’s farm. Honeycrisp apples are so good to eat on their own, I almost felt bad for baking them in a dessert, but their sweet flavor came through in this crisp and I was glad I chose to use them.
Apple Crisp (a la mode if you desire….)
- 2 pounds apples, peeled and chopped (chop in fairly small pieces for quicker baking)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 generous teaspoon of cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and chop apples, mix with sugar, flour cinnamon and lemon. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. After completely melted, add sugar and stir until well incorporated, add rolled oats and finally add flour and salt. Take off of heat and continue to mix until completely incorporated.
3. Spoon apples into a large baking dish (9×13) or into individual ramekins. Add topping on top of apples. If baking in ramekins place on a cookie sheet in case of boiling over. Bake for 40-45 minutes, check for a golden brown top. (As you’ll see below, I probably went a little too long).
4. Let cool slightly and serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
This is an easy dessert and is perfect for apples, stone fruits in the summer, or even tropical fruits. But apple is perfect for fall.
Today I went with my wonderful team to a nearby pumpkin patch, we picked out our pumpkins and hopefully Hubby and I will get a chance to carve them before the 31st.
On the fertility front, I started Lupron this past Tuesday, my Lupron headaches are back (oh joy!), I’ll finish my birth control this weekend and will begin oral estrogen, aspirin and dexamethasone soon. I’m starting to obsess again, this is potentially the last time I’ll undergo an embryo transfer. I don’t know how I feel about that yet……..I’ll keep you posted.