Butternut Squash Posole and more Liebster Answers
I grew up in a city much smaller than Seattle where Mexican food is abundant. In high school and during our summers home from college my BFF and I would head to this hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant located next to the local Greyhound station and eat bowls of flavorful posole (a Mexican soup with hominy). The posole had the perfect amount of pork and hominy and we would add lime, avocado, onions and dip the homemade tortilla-sized chips it was served with.
During this time of year I love to find recipes which incorporate squash and other fall vegetables. So, I was beyond excited to land upon a recipe which included butternut squash into one of my favorite dishes.
Butternut Squash Posole (adapted from Better Homes & Garden)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 15-ounce can white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- sliced radishes (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken: cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add the celery, onions, and garlic to the Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the oregano, chili powder, and cumin; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add the broth, chicken, squash, kale and hominy to the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through and squash is tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove chicken; cut into cubes. Return chicken to pot. Stir in the cilantro, salt and pepper. Serve in bowls adding sliced radishes and lime if desired. Makes 8-10 servings, perfect for leftovers.
We had friends over for dinner earlier this week and this was a perfect, easy dinner to serve. It is warming, flavorful and easy. I added a little heat to mine with a few dashes of Tapatio and was instantly back in that small Mexican restaurant eating posole with my BFF. Isn’t it funny how certain foods have a way of doing that?!
Liebster Nominations #2 and #3
Wow….I am beyond humbled to be nominated again for the Liebster Award! Thank you to Cindy at Pregnancy via IVF and Truffle Love at BFP Envy, you are both so kind to nominate me and now onto my answers…..
Questions from Truffle Love:
- Where is the most exciting place you have traveled to? Europe-I’ve been twice, once with my Mom and second time with Hubby. I’ve visited France, Italy, Switzerland, England and Spain. I loved Barcelona! Would love to go back someday.
- Do you prefer chips or cookies? I would probably say cookies, I have a terrible sweet tooth.
- Coffee or tea? I love love love coffee, but drink tea most days. Green tea is my go-to morning drink. I guess my answers is both. 🙂
- What is one thing you always carry with you in your purse? Lipgloss, can’t go without it.
- Do you typically wear high heels or flats? High heels, I’m only 5’2″ so I need a little lift!
- What’s your favorite alcoholic beverage? Vodka tonic, although I’m not drinking any these days.
- What is your favorite book and why? Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, I thought the book was so interesting and made me imagine all that he was describing in detail. And I also really love The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, I think it is such a beautifully simple book about love.
- If you won a million dollars, what is the first big purchase you would splurge on? A fancy car for Hubby, he deserves it and would be beyond thrilled.
- Who is your celebrity crush? Ryan Gosling…..H-O-T-T
- What is the last movie that you watched that made you cry? Friends with Kids
- What is one wonderful thing you would like to share about your significant other? My husband is the most kind and caring person I know, he goes out of his way to help others and also, he is the most logical person I know (which is usually what I need when I’m crazy!)
Now time for Cindy’s Questions:
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Hawaii, Hubby and I travel there a lot and just love it! It’s so relaxing!
- What is your favorite food? Vietnamese noodle bowls
- What is your favorite holiday and why? Thanksgiving, it’s all about family and food, what more could anyone ask for?!
- If you could be any person for just one day who would you be? Oprah, she’s amazing and so influential, it would be interesting to be in her shoes for a day.
- If you could have dinner with 3 people, dead or alive, who would they be? My paternal grandfather, he passed on before I was born, so I would like to meet and get to know him. Beyonce-I think she is powerful and beautiful, yet seems like a real person and is a Mom now. Tom Colicchio-I have a crush on him and think he’s an amazing chef and restaurateur.
- What is your favorite season? Fall!!! I love the crisp air and colorful leaves and it always feels like the beginning of the year to me. (Must be from the back to school days growing up.)
- If you could change anything about yourself what would it be? I would be less of a worry wart.
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you? I peed my pants in 2nd grade on the playground.
- If you could pick one super power to have what would it be and why? The power to heal people. I think it would be immensely powerful and a super power that would be used for good.
- What is your favorite movie of all time? Stand by Me
- Why do you blog? It’s a good outlet for all of the crazy stuff happening in my life right now and it lets me reach out to others who might be going through the same situations. Hopefully someday I can look back on it as a journal on the road to having a child. Also, I love to cook and share recipes.
Thanks again to both Cindy and Truffle Love. I hope everyone who has shared in on the Liebster Awards have all gotten to know each other a little bit better.
Happy 1st day of November!!!