Hubby and I thought we would be proceeding with our natural cycle frozen embryo transfer (FET) this month, but looks like we aren’t. I had a Day 12 ultrasound on October 31st and a Day 15 ultrasound on November 3rd and from one to the other, my follicle showed little to no growth and my uterine lining was not increasing as well. I spoke with my nurse yesterday morning, my estradiol was only 56 when I went in on Day 15, she said things weren’t looking good and that it wasn’t a great idea to move forward with the FET. I wasn’t surprised with the news, my body was out of whack after the first round of IVF and I really wasn’t expecting to have a normal cycle after IVF #2. And, for the record, I haven’t had a normal cycle in who know’s how long, I can’t even remember, I’ve been on this roller coaster for too long!
I’m not sad….more like indifferent. I was pretty broken down after the second IVF failed, so maybe this break is happening for a reason. I’m a devout yogi, but haven’t been practicing as much as I’ve wanted in the past few months. Recently, I’ve discovered a new yoga studio near my house, so I’ve been going frequently and am enjoying the physical challenge as well as the mental cleansing and relaxation that it brings me. I’m off of my restrictions for the time being, letting myself enjoy dairy, gluten, coffee and alcohol in moderation. I’m still cooking some great gluten-free and dairy-free recipes in my kitchen, but not feeling guilty about having a piece of bread at dinner or a delicious cup of gelato for dessert. Hubby and I are going to Las Vegas in less than two weeks (Hubby has a conference there) and I’m actually looking forward to a “normal” weekend, maybe we can feel like that couple who are totally oblivious to the fact that we have fertility problems and can have unabashed fun!
In the next couple of days Hubby and I do, however, need to make a decision. We need to decide if we want to still try for a natural start FET or go with a medicated (hormone replacement therapy) FET. I originally wanted to do a cycle that was going to be as close to the “real thing” as possible, but realistically, I don’t think waiting only one more month will regulate my cycle any more. The medicated cycle will give us the piece of mind of knowing when the transfer will occur and according to the projected calendar it likely will not be until early to mid January. I’m nervous to go back on birth control since I was oversuppressed with them before we did IVF #1, but it will only be for 2 weeks this time. Also, according to the projected timeline, we can enjoy the holidays minus the few ultrasounds and blood draws that may be required.
Do any of you have advice/experience of natural cycle FET vs. medicated FET??? I think you probably know which way I’m leaning……